Sunday, May 12, 2013

Treasure!!!!

                          Rufus Floyd Vaught and Elizabeth Hannah Cook Vaught
                               my great, great, great grandparents

Oh how I love treasure.... Now treasure means something different to each of us and to me treasure could mean many things but today the treasure I have found is connecting the photo above to my family and the people in it as well. Yippee! 

Now let me explain. I love researching our family history. As a young person I always daydreamed about the people before us. The ones that walked through any old house I had visited or walked under an ancient tree before me. Always wondering what there lives were like, who were they?!

Well lately I have been neglectful as I have been busy with home and then there is that piece of the puzzle that falls into my lap and excites me all over again about our history. 

Last year I found quite a bit of information about my Mother's Mother's(Vivian Chandler Stanton) family. I previously knew very little about them. I knew more about my Mom's Dad's family. I knew my grandmother Vivian's mother as she passed when I was in my early 20's but then I didn't think to ask the questions I have now. * Big Sigh*.  It is her family that I have been able to piece together as there has been extensive research on her family. Most of it posted online and I was able to verify this info through family and marriage records, census records and so on. I found the picture I am sharing and the following family tree online. I was able to verify the info but the picture I was fairly certain as it was labeled online but yet some part of me asked " How do I know this is really my great, great, great grandparents? " 

Well I paid a surprise visit to my mother today. It is Mother's day and I wanted to take her cookies I had baked for her. I wasn't sure she would be there but I thought I could easily leave them for her. Well thankfully she was there and had recently visited her Aunt Betty and her cousin Tracy. Betty is my grandmother Vivian's youngest sister. Anyhow, the last time my Mom visited she had shared some of the information I had found with Aunt Betty. Tracy told my Mom that she had a copy of the picture of Rufus Floyd Vaught and Elizabeth Hannah Cook Vaught and would share it with her. 

So my Mom surprised me with this original picture today. It is on a post card addressed but not mailed to Miss Gladys Martin. Who was my Great Grandmother Gladys Martin Chandler it listed them as her grandparents. :) There is no doubt Rufus Floyd Vaught and Elizabeth Hannah Cook Vaught are my Great, Great, Great Grandparents! Their daughter Flora Vaught was my Great, Great Grandmother and married William Henry Martin. I will also share the tree I found which documents this:

1.  RUFUS FLOYD3 VAUGHT  (LEVI HORSLEY2, CHRISTIAN SR.1) was born April 09, 1843 in Giles Co., VA, and died February 24, 1931 in McGraw, WV.  He met ELIZABETH HANNAH COOK December 11, 1868 in Newport, Giles Co., VA, daughter of JOHN COOK and ELIZABETH KIRK.  She was born December 06, 1850, and died December 21, 1924 in Pemberton, Raleigh Co., WV.

More About RUFUS FLOYD VAUGHT:
Burial: 1931, E. E. Cook Cemetery,Spruce Run,Giles Co.,VA

More About ELIZABETH HANNAH COOK:
Burial: 1924, E. E. Cook Cemetery,Spruce Run,Giles Co.,VA
Children of RUFUS VAUGHT and ELIZABETH COOK are:
i. LUCINDA C.4 VAUGHT, b. September 25, 1869, Giles Co., VA.
ii. JOHNIE G. VAUGHT, b. 1871, Giles Co., VA.
2. iii. ELIZABETH CORNELIA VAUGHT, b. November 04, 1872, Giles Co., VA; d. 1929, Giles Co., VA.
iv. FLORA C. VAUGHT, b. May 08, 1874, Giles Co., VA; m. W. H. MARTIN, October 11, 1893.
3. v. JEREMIAH CHAUNCY VAUGHT, b. April 05, 1876, Giles Co., VA; d. April 26, 1946, Boone Co., WV.
4. vi. WHITLEY J. VAUGHT, b. May 16, 1878, Giles Co., VA; d. January 03, 1953, Kanawha Co., WV.
5. vii. ERASTUS FRANCIS VAUGHT, b. September 05, 1880, Giles Co., VA; d. December 21, 1957, McAlester,Pittsburg Co.,OK.
6. viii. RUFUS AMON VAUGHT, b. January 24, 1883, Giles Co., VA; d. December 24, 1969.
7. ix. MARY HALYROID VAUGHT, b. June 15, 1886, Giles Co., VA; d. August 1954.
x. BERTIE JOSEPHINE VAUGHT, b. June 19, 1888, Giles Co., VA.
8. xi. JAMES HERBERT VAUGHT, b. August 22, 1891, Giles Co., VA; d. April 18, 1952, Wyoming Co., WV.



          Mom visited the grave site of Rufus Floyd and Elizabeth Hannah Vaught last June. I have pictures but they are small and I can't seem to make them any bigger so I won't share for now. 
         
         These type of treasures make me giddy. Silly I know. I also have a picture of Rufus Floyd Vaught's parents, Levi Horsely Vaught and Lucinda Chandler Vaught. I will end with their picture and elaborate on their story later. 

                                                      Levi Horsley & Lucinda (Chandler) Vaught
Circa 1870-1887 Levi is the son of Christian Vaught Jr. Levi & Lucinda are the parents of Rufus Floyd Vaught.











                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment